Nairobi is the capital city of Kenya and is as well largest city of Kenya. The word “Nairobi” means cold water but it is prevalently known as “Green City in the Sun”. The city is encircled by numerous villa suburbs.
Nairobi is one of the most important cites of Africa in terms of political as well as finance related issues. United Nations also have their office in Nairobi itself. Nairobi stock exchange is one of the largest and oldest stock exchanges.
Places to visit in Nairobi
- Nairobi National Park:Nairobi is a place which is very well-known for safaris. Nairobi National Park is the protected area. It is located 7km from Nairobi city center. There are many open grass plains and as well as various acacia bushes. To the south are the Athi-Kapiti Plains. These Plains are essential for migratory birds. There are various man-made dams inside the park to make a favorable habitat for the wild-life and also for certain birds. Wild-life fascinations are the Black rhino, lion, leopard, zebra, Giraffe, various different birds and other aquatic biome.
- Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage: This is a small, supple charity trust which was founded in 1977 in the memory of David Leslie William Sheldric. It is a shelter for orphanage elephants.
- Fourteen falls: Fourteen Falls are situated in Thika which is approximately 65 kilometers North East Nairobi. The name Fourteen Falls are due to 14 different water falls of well-known Athi River.
- Nairobi National Museum: Nairobi National Museum is some 10 minutes’ drive from Nairobi City Center. The museum was constructed in 1929. The Museum organizes various workshops, conferences, educational lectures for the students. Art Gallery, Exhibitions, Botanical Gardens are also a part of this museum.
- Maasai Ostrich Farm:Masai Ostrich Farm is located some 45 km south of Nairobi City which is half an hour drive from Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. This is the best environment to enjoy with Ostriches. The meat of Ostrich available here is awesome.
- Nairobi National Railway Museum: Nairobi Railway Museum was formed in 1971 so that the traditional remnants and chronicles are preserved. A visit to National Railway Museum is qite informative.
The best time to visit Nairobi is January to February and between June to September as for the remaining seasons are too wet and rains for a longer time. The pleasant temperatures there are some where ranging between 22 to 25 degree during June to September
Originally posted 2012-11-08 23:57:02.