Whether it is a grand cathedral or a beautiful chapel America has got many beautiful churches. From various coasts one can find wide variety of churches in America. No matter what ever is your religion you would love the towering domes, assorted artworks and notable sculptures.
Some iconic churches are:
- The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine: This church is in New York and is approximately 20-minutes ride from Times Square. The church is as big as St. Peter’s Basilica which is located in Vatican City. The structure is made up of limestone granite and is very impressive to look at. The tourists can also see Peace Fountain which portrays the battle of good and evil. The Cathedral Church is open every day from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Washington National Cathedral: The Church is located in Washington DC. The Church is officially known as Cathedral Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. The design of the Church is Neo-Gothic and it took some 83 years to build the church. The Church also leads to Pilgrim Observation Gallery which opens from Monday to Thursday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm and on Saturdays till 4:00 pm and on Sunday from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm. There are numerous guided tours available for the tourists.
- St Mary of Angels: This Church is in Chicago and is one of the fabulous cathedrals that still exist. The first St. Mary of Angels was built in 1899in Chicago and was turned to a parish school. The existing Church was completed in 1920 which was made out with great struggle during World War I The Church has stained-glass windows inside the church which shows 12 Apostles, the Stations of the Cross, various other biblical scenes.
- Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis: The church is located in St. Louis and was built by The Archbishops of St. Louis in early 1990s. An hour long visits are available on almost all Sundays after 12 pm mass.
- Cathedral of Saint Paul: The Church is placed in St. Paul. This Cathedral was built in 1907. The Cathedral was designed in the Beaux Arts. The Cathedral has thousands of people who come and pray. The shrine of Cathedral was built basically to honor other saints. The Cathedral remains open 7:00 am to 6:00 pm and on Saturdays it remains open till 9:00 pm.
There are several other churches one can pay a visit in America. The churches in America are as well as fascinating as their European counterparts.
Originally posted 2013-01-25 00:22:47.