Antwerp is a city in Belgium and its capital is Flanders. Antwerp is an important city in the Low Countries both economically and culturally. The city also has one of the largest seaports in Europe.
Antwerp is the largest city in Flanders. There are many historic buildings which are the reminiscent of the city’s heyday in the 16th century. Antwerp is well known for its shopping centers and also the entertainment as well as many cultural attractions as well. The city is famous for diamonds, fashion and Flemish artists like Rubens and van Dyck. Their works can be seen in many local museums.
Here is a list of some popular tourist spots in Antwerp.
- Central Station: The Antwerp Central Station is the world’s notable railway stations. It is also a key landmark in Antwerp. The railway station was built in 1895 and the construction got completed in 1905. The Central Station has two entrances, a historic domed building and also a contemporary atrium at Kievit Square. There are three different levels of tracks and also a shopping center which comprises of a diamond gallery with more than 30 diamond shops.
- Grote Market: The Market has a large spacious city hall and was fashioned during the era of the Franks.
(a) Brabo Fountain: The Fountain is located on the square and was built in 1887 by the architect Jef Lambaux. The Fountain portrays the protagonist of Antwerp’s very well-known fable the legendary hero Brabo.
(b) Guild Houses: The Grote Market is renowned for its awesome houses which got destroyed in 1576 in the fire and were renovated in Flemish resurgence style. The statues above the building are very striking to look at.
- Cathedral of our Lady: The Cathedral was constructed in 1352 and its construction got over in 1521 and is also the world’s tallest buildings. Inside the church are very beautiful paintings painted by Rubens.
- Rubens House: Peter Paul Rubens is eminent painter in Antwerp. The places where he used to reside and worked are now being converted to a museum and are the most visited by the tourists.
- Zoo: The Antwerp Zoo is one of the oldest zoos in the world and is a famous tourist attraction as well. The zoo has a population of over 5000 and more than 950 diverse species and fascinates 1 million tourists every year.
Best suitable time to visit Antwerp
June to August is considered as an ideal time to visit Antwerp and is indeed the peak season as well whereas the months from March to May are considered as off season.
Originally posted 2013-02-19 01:32:21.