Frankfurt is the capital city of West Germany and is the fifth largest city of Germany. Frankfurt is also the financial as well as transportation center of Germany. Frankfurt is located on the river Main. It also hosts some of the world’s most important trade shows out of which Frankfurt Auto Show and Frankfurt Book Fair are to be named.
Frankfurt is also called as city of contrasts. Frankfurt is the city which has well maintained old buildings. The major tourist attraction is Romer square and the museums at River Main. There are some stunning century streets and parks on the tracks of Bockenheim, Bornheim, Nordend and Sachsenhausen which are often unheeded by visitors.
Here are few interesting places to visit in Frankfurt.
- Zeil: It is one of the best shopping areas of Frankfurt. Zeil offers an ample of shopping occasions from huge department stores to chic boutiques. Zeil is the key shopping center. Zeil is also known as “The Golden Mile” or “The Fifth Avenue of Germany”.
- Romerberg: Romerberg is the central square and is also one of the most awesome squares in Frankfurt. Numerous trade fairs were held in Frankfurt starting from 12th century onwards and to attend these trade fairs people from Italy and France come. Frankfurt Book Fair is one of the fairs which are still held.
- History Museum: Frankfurt Museum of history reveals the prehistory to the modern times. There are different models of Frankfurt old and new town before and after destruction of the war. The Museum is located in a large complex known as the Saalhof which was built in the 12th century. The complex has five historical buildings and also a concrete modern structure which was built between 1969 and 1972.
- Bethmann Park: It is a small wonderful park in Frankfurt. The main attraction of the park is a beautiful Chinese garden and was created in 1990. The Park once was a private garden which was created by a Jewish banker in 1783. The Park is worth visiting particularly the Chinese Garden. One of the simplest ways to reach the park is underground.
- Palmengarten: It is a huge park which is located to the northwest of inner city of Frankfurt and was fashioned in 1868 by a group of people for both scientific and for leisure purpose.
Best time to be in Frankfurt
Frankfurt is the busiest during the months from June to August and again from mid-November to December. January to March observes less number of tourists and months from September to mid-November and April to May are the shoulder seasons.
Originally posted 2013-02-22 01:42:22.