Banff is a small town which is within Banff National Park in Alberta, Canada. It is located in Alberta’s Rockies along the Trans-Canada Highway.
Banff is a resort town and is also one of the famous tourist destinations which are famous for its mountains and hot springs. Famous tourist attraction activities include extensive hiking, biking, scrambling and skiing. The tourists can also enjoy Sunshine Village, Ski Norquay and Lake Loise Mountain Resort which are nearby ski resorts located within the national park.
Here are few famous tourist destinations in Banff.
- Banff Sulphur Mountain Gondola: Banff Sulphur Mountain Gondola lies on the outskirts of the town. The travelers can have an overview of the Rockies and surrounding countryside. The tourists can enjoy the Gondola cable car ride. The Banff Sulphur Mountain Gondola travels 2300 meter Sulphur Mountain which has amenities like an observation deck, restaurant, historic weather station and gift shop as well. A hiking trail is also available as an adventure sport towards the eastern side of the mountain.
- Rafting River Tours: Rafting river tours are available on the Bow River and are quite famous. Bow Falls and Tunnel Mountain are renowned tourist destinations and are led by experienced guides. There are thrilling white-water rafting, trips along the Kicking Horse River. The travelers can also hire canoes and kayaks to roam in and around Banff.
- Upper Hot Springs: This is an attraction during a cold day which is naturally steaming hot sulphur pools apt for bathing purpose. The hot springs are situated on the southern side of Banff’s downtown district. The view is very beautiful and inspiring and makes the landscape of Canada all the more beautiful. Spa facilities and refreshments are also available.
- Colombia Icefield Glacier Adventure: The main attraction here is Brewster Tour’s, Glaciers in Motion” which is a nine and a half hour tour. There are customized tour buses which are well equipped with huge all-terrain tires which can drive onto glacier as well.
- Vermilion Lakes: These lakes are situated towards North West of town. They are a tiny chain of marshy ponds which encompasses picturesque strolls. The tourists can also pay visit to the Cascade Ponds and Lake Minnewanka. During summer season hiking is prominent adventure sport activity observed. In winters hiking is not allowed as there may be icefalls from sharp slopes above.
Best time to visit Banff
September and October are the best months to pay a visit to Canada as the crowd is also less and these two months are considered as shoulder season months.
Originally posted 2013-01-29 02:26:37.