Florence is the capital city of Italy and is often named as province of Florence. Florence is renowned for its history and is the center of medieval trade and finance. Florence is one of the wealthiest cities of the time and is also considered as birthplace of the Renaissance and has been called the Athens of the Middle Ages.
Florence is one of the prevalent travel cities in Italy and the tourists have much to see in Florence. Florence is a Renaissance city in the heart of Tuscany and has wonderful museums, awesome cathedrals and churches and has many sophisticated buildings and shops.
Here are few tourist attractions of Florence.
- Piazza della Signoria: This is the most well-known square in Florence and also the heart of the historic center. Florence is famous for open-air sculpture exhibit. The Piazza has important statues including a copy of Michaleangelo’s David. The Piazza is also considered as the political center from past many ages.
- Palazzo Vecchio: It has a wide variety of kid activities and also includes guided tours which brings life the daily court of the Medici family and supervised experiments in Fresco painting. The activities take around one or two hours and then the parents can take their English-language tour. There are several things which keep the children busy like the Museo Stibbert’s porcelain warriors, armor and unique draggers which keep the children busy for long hours.
- Boboli Gardens: Boboli Gardens are famous for summer picnics in the Pitti Palace. Here you can get yummy sandwiches and delicious chocolate chip biscotti and wines as well. The Gardens were created in 16th century. The Gardens are very beautiful and are a home to a large number of statues and fountains.
- Duomo di Firenze: The Duomo di Firenze was built between 1296 and 1436. This is one of the largest cathedrals in the world. Its dome has Florentine architect. The Cathedral of Florence is officially named as Cattedrale Santa Maria del Fiore or Duomo which was planned in 1296 as a Gothic cathedral.
- Uffizi: The Uffizi Gallery is one of the eminent museums in Florence. It has collection of Renaissance paintings and has paintings of very famous painters of era including Michelangelo,
da Vinci and Botticelli. The Palazzo delgi Uffizi was built between 1560 and 1580.
Best Time to visit Florence
March is the peak time for the tourists owing to the spring weather. Early December is a bit chilly, less number of tourists but in early February there are barely any travelers. Hence it entirely depends on what you are looking out for weather or tourists.
Originally posted 2013-02-06 00:58:05.